Many of us don't realize the importance of proper wheel alignment on our cars. We tend to think that nothing much happens to our tires other than an occasional puncture. Nothing can be further from the truth. It is very important that we regularly get our wheels aligned, and some say it should be done as often as we get the car serviced.
Wheel alignment is making sure that the wheels of the car are perpendicular to the road; also, it makes sure that the wheels are parallel to one other.
Driving over potholes, speed bumps or kerbs can knock your wheel alignment out. This can lead to uneven wear on your tyres and it could feel like you car is 'pulling' to one side. This in turn can lead to an increase in fuel consumption and premature wear on your tyres. At A.W. Autotech we offer Wheel Alignment check to make sure your tyres are running on the correct path. Correct wheel alignment ensures that the tyres are perpendicular to the ground and parallel to each other and that on a level straight road your car will travel in a true straight line. Wheel alignment or tracking is one of the key tyre maintenance factors to ensure optimum performance, even tyre wear and a maximised tyre life. An accurate alignment also provides safe and predictable vehicle control and road holding alongside a smoother and more comfortable ride.
We do wheel alignment for both 2 and 4 wheel vehicles.
4 Wheel Geometry Check and Adjustment Service
We are proud to be one of the few locations which offer a complete 4 wheel geometry check and adjustment service. This includes catering for individual requirements such as rally/racing cars and/or high performance vehicles.
During a complete 4 wheel geometry check and adjustment service, the following aspects will be measured and adjusted where required;
- Caster; this is the forward and backward tilt of upper ball joint in relation to the lower ball joint. Incorrect positioning will affect directional stability, cause hard steering and ‘Wandering or weaving’ when travelling at high speeds.
- Camber; this is the angle of the wheel when viewed from the front. The camber or angle of your tires has a lot to do with how well they grip the road. The more surface area between your tire and the road, the better the grip and the more stability you'll have. Incorrect positioning can cause increased tyre wear and impaired handling.
- Set back; this is when one front wheel is further back than the other. Any setback will cause an off-centred steering wheel and excessive setback can cause an alignment pull to the side.
- Thrust angle; this is the direction of which the rear wheels point in relation to the centre line of the vehicle. Abnormal thrust line will cause your vehicle to pull to the left or right as it attempts to compensate for the issue. It causes uneven tyre wear, leading to ‘flats’ and possible blowouts.
During our four wheel alignment we will check and repair;
- Tyre Pressures / Sizes / Condition & Wheel Damage
- Suspension Damage
- Worn Suspension Joints
- Wheel Bearing Play
- Calibration of Equipment
- Manufactures Data
- Flat / Level Surface
- Any Body Distortion / Road Test
- Radius Plates / Slip Plates
- Ride Heights / Loading
After a complete 4 wheel geometry check and adjustment service, your vehicle will have improved fuel economy due to the decreased tyre resistance which resulted from the un-aligned tyres. You will have thousands of extra miles added to your tyre life through the reduction of tyre wear and friction and by eliminating drifts to the left or right; you will be driving safer and more secure with improved handling and grip of your car.
Save on Fuel
When the wheels of the car are not aligned there is uneven pressure on the tires. They tend to push against each other. When that happens the car faces uneven friction and much more resistance from the road surface. This means that your car has to work that much harder to move forward and more fuel is burned than normal.
When you align the wheels properly the there is much less resistance from the road surface. This results in not only a smoother drive but sometimes noticeable savings on your gas receipts.